Information products are the trend of our time. Demand is high, business growth is unlimited. With proper management, an info business can earn from several thousand to several million a month.
The infobusiness in Russia appeared a little over ten years ago, and with the development of the Internet, it has transformed into the sale of master classes, seminars, video tutorials, webinars, etc. In many ways, this was facilitated by social networks through which all these products are promoted.
Today, the information business is in great demand, continues to gain momentum and will develop in new directions. Popularity, high profitability and prospects are three reasons to think about creating and selling your information product. Its specificity as a product is that:
- a product created once can be reused;
- the value of a product largely depends on the reputation and expertise of its author;
- difficult to determine the value of the product.
For the development of the information business, it is necessary not only to create a high-quality information product, but also to properly advertise and sell it. The goal of the infobusiness is to achieve multiple sales with a one-time creation of a product. Therefore, the issue of promotion and search for customers is especially relevant.
In this article, we will analyze how to create and sell information products, how much you can earn on this, and what difficulties an information businessman may face.
What is an information product
An information product is a structured set of knowledge on a narrow topic and aimed at a specific target audience.
Are you well versed in some area, do you have unique information or skills? You can share your experience and teach it to other people, and they will be willing to pay you for important, useful information. This is the basis of the information business.
Online entrepreneurs build sales funnels from their information products in such a way that they generate income without much action from the owner. Therefore, the sale of information products today is a highly profitable business.
The whole variety of information products can be divided into main categories:
- text: articles, checklists, workbooks, guides. Usually buyers receive them in pdf file format;
- audio format: podcasts, audio lessons. They only need headphones and an electronic device.
- video format: webinar, video tutorials. These information products are recorded in video format. Webinars are held online to communicate with their audience in real time. Video tutorials are separately recorded and edited videos.
- an online course is already a more complex information product. It requires a broad topic and serious preparation. As a rule, an online course combines various formats for providing information. One topic can be a webinar, and the other can be supplemented with checklists. It all depends on how the author of the information product sees it.
- a master class is a voluminous lesson that explains the chosen topic. As a result of the master class, the listener receives knowledge and practical skills.
- and intensive – an information product that involves a long online or live meeting with the provision of a large amount of information.
- coaching – group or individual training training with the personal participation of an expert. Such training is adjusted along the way and adjusted to the specific tasks of the participants.
- consulting – experts provide consulting services. Consulting is convenient for those who delegate their tasks to freelance specialists.
- sites or channels in social networks with paid access. Such information products are gaining popularity among online entrepreneurs who have collected a lot of exclusive content. For access to these materials, the user pays a lump sum or makes a monthly payment. The current trend is to create such channels in Telegram. By the way, you can read ideas about making money on this social network here .
These are the main categories of information products, but the list can be supplemented with special cases. The concept of “infoproduct” is very broad, and various types of commercial materials can be attributed to it.
The main task of an entrepreneur is to create a quality product that can interest the audience and sell well. And questions about information products arise all the time. Since there are a huge number of offers on the market and the quality of these materials is not controlled by anyone, dubious information products often come across.
If you want to build your own information business, then, first of all, take care of creating an expert, high-quality, unique product. Let’s take a closer look at the main stages of creating an information product.
How to create information products
Let’s start by deciding which information product can be considered high-quality and which is not.
|SIGNS OF A QUALITY INFORMATION PRODUCT||SIGNS OF A LOW-QUALITY INFORMATION PRODUCT|
|contains unique information gives specific answers to the questions posed; based on the personal experience of the author;prepared for the level of the target audience for which it is declared: for beginners – basic information, for professionals – exclusive and deeper knowledge; gives a practical solution to an actual problem;contains structured information and is presented in a clear, convenient way.||information only from open sources on the Internet;describes one theory without practice;retells obvious facts and does not give the user new information;does not confirm the personal experience of the author; does not have a target audience, is focused on everyone;does not correspond to the declared topic and does not solve the “pain” of the audience;too difficult to understand the presentation of the material.|
Now you can proceed directly to the creation of an information product. At first glance, this seems simple, but it is fundamentally not so. Creating a high-quality information product is a complex, time-consuming task. But we will tell you how to create an information product from scratch in 10 steps.
- Determine the topic and target audience. The theme of the information product should be closely related to the target audience and your brand.
- Choose a format for this topic. Decide which format suits your topic best: in what form it will be more accessible, clearer and more attractive to the client. For example, if you are preparing educational material for needlewomen, visual content is important (video tutorial, step-by-step photos). Training sessions are more suitable for transferring business information, and it is convenient to arrange guides for beginners in the form of a checklist or guide.
- Analyze competitors. Check what information products on your topic are already on the market: what format is chosen, what information is included there and to what extent, how much it costs, pros and cons. All the collected data will allow you to create your own unique product and avoid mistakes.
- Formulate the main value of your information product. Ask yourself the question: what will the client get when they purchase your information product? Remember that good training material should solve a specific problem or “pain” of the client. The more specifically it is expressed, the easier it is to convey it to the client.
- Come up with a name. In the name of the information product, it is advised to use numbers, as they add clarity. For example: “what is the approximate amount of information (“100 methods of effective sales in social networks”); how many steps or days will the user reach the goals (“Targetologist in 14 days”). This technique increases sales.
- Prepare material and create an information product. Here you collect information, directly create the content necessary for the selected format: shoot videos, write texts, draw up checklists, etc.
- Calculate the cost of the information product. A very important stage, which has its own nuances. We will discuss pricing later in this article.
- Pack information product. The packaging of an information product consists of two parts: external (landing page, presentation, pdf-file) and internal (content of the online product, its advantages, key idea or slogan). Proper packaging is the key to successful sales. It is important to achieve an effect so that the presentation of the information product immediately declares a specific benefit for the target audience.
- Think over a marketing strategy. Promotion methods will depend on the format of the information product. Obviously, a large online course and checklists will be advertised differently. We will also consider the topic of promotion in a separate paragraph.
- Launch sales
How to determine the cost of an information product
Creating an information product, as a rule, does not involve financial costs. The main resource is your time. But it all depends on the format. For example, to shoot a series of training videos, some people rent a studio, hire cameramen and editors. And in total, the costs are very significant. Even for a text guide, artists and designers can be involved to design useful material.
When you are working on an information product, be sure to keep in mind how much you can sell it for. Based on this, distribute your expenses. For example, if you have enough unique information and expertise to create a serious product, and there is an audience that will be ready to buy it from you, you can invest in the development of a powerful information product. But if you are a beginner and are taking your first steps in the infobusiness, it is better to choose a more budgetary format and not take risks.
Always consider whether you are creating an information product for beginners or professionals. The fact is that expensive training can be afforded by already experienced specialists who earn money in their business and are ready to invest in their development. And beginners often purchase budget options.
What factors affect pricing:
- time spent on developing the information product
- relevance in the information market (demand)
- the cost of similar products from competitors
- the level of your expertise – the more you are valued in the market as a professional, the more expensive your information product can cost
- the scope and depth of information presented in the product
- the cost of producing an information product (payment for the services of a designer, operator, illustrator, editor, etc.)
- the desired percentage of profitability – in this case, you plan the sales volume and calculate the price based on the minimum profit you want to receive.
By evaluating these factors, you can determine a fair price for your information product that will suit both you and the consumer.
Where to look for potential clients
1. Social networks
Social networks are the most powerful channel for attracting customers to the information business. Therefore, maintaining an account will be a huge plus, developing which you can attract customers and sell your information product to them. Usually the scheme is as follows: you recruit subscribers, increase their trust, show your expertise – and then offer your information product. You can also post ads in thematic groups and publics.
2. Influencer accounts
The key advantage of advertising with bloggers is audience loyalty. Trusting the opinion of a blogger, subscribers are ready to trust the product that he advertises. You can attract influencers from different social networks. The main thing is that it intersects with yours.
3. Thematic sites
You can search for the target audience of your information product on thematic sites. Promote your product in two ways: buying official advertising on the service and posting information about yourself in your profile with a link to the landing page. Examples of such services: Myguru, Glopart, Qwertypay.
4. Contextual advertising
Such ads are shown to users after certain queries in search engines. For it to work effectively, you need to clearly define key phrases – this will attract the most interested audience to your page with the sale of an information product.
How to organize the sale of information products
For the successful development of the infobusiness, all available sales tools should be used. And today there are a lot of them. Let’s look at the main ways to promote:
1. Sales funnels.
Auto funnels are a series of “touches” on an audience through emails, social media posts, instant messengers, etc.
Inside auto funnels, sales can be carried out in different ways:
- sales immediately after subscription – on the activation page or the lead magnet download page. As a rule, entry-level products are sold here – tripwires (worth 200-500 rubles). Their task is to increase the subscriber’s trust and confirm your expertise.
- email sales : hard sales with direct ads, soft sales via content, sales via webinar invitations, etc. Here you can already sell more expensive products from a thousand rubles and more.
- sales through additional engagement tools (for example, retargeting an audience that is in an auto sales funnel).
2. Launches for a loyal audience that has passed through auto sales funnels.
Such sales may take the form of:
- Simple launches – when you create a new information product, and then sell it to your database.
- Launches with webinars – when you host a free webinar where you advertise another information product of yours.
- Complex multi-step launches – usually used for expensive training programs.
3. Selling through social networks and instant messengers
This is one of the most powerful and popular channels for selling information products. Most relevant for those who work in a wide niche.
- Conducting a live broadcast in one of the social networks where you offer a paid product
- Selling through posts in a personal profile and thematic community
- Sales through videos on YouTube: you provide some of the useful information for free, which shows your expertise, allows you to evaluate the quality of your information product and stirs up the interest of the audience.
4. Selling through your own website
Many people ignore this promotion channel, relying on social networks. However, sites for selling information products are very effective. Every day, millions of people search for something in search engines. And they can find your site if you write the key queries correctly. The site often becomes the main link in the sales funnel, which closes the interaction with the target audience.
In addition, having your own website is a certain indicator. Business reputation is very important in the information business.
Website sales examples:
- Useful and free content that includes links to a product catalog or an offer to purchase a product
- Advertising banners on the site
5. Selling information products through direct advertising
In this case, the promotion of selling pages is carried out using various advertising channels: Yandex.Direct, Google AdWords, Vkontakte, and so on.
This option is not the best, as it gives a small conversion and attracts a cold audience. But as an addition to other sales tools – it’s quite normal.
6. Cold Audience Launches
Many people use this method. The scheme is as follows:
- write a description of the webinar;
- attract an audience to the webinar from advertising channels;
- collect a database of email addresses for mailing;
- hold a selling webinar where you offer an information product;
- then send several sales letters.
7. Discount at the start of sales
The method is simple, proven, but still effective. At the beginning, you can run a promotion, for example: the first 10 customers can purchase a product with a 50% discount. This is a good selling motivation: firstly, a great benefit, and secondly, the need to make a decision quickly, without delaying the purchase.
Thanks to the first sales at a low cost, the author will receive feedback and attention from customers – if they like your information product, they will buy from you in the future.
8. Catalogs of information products and affiliate programs
Info-entrepreneurs and companies place goods in information product catalogs. As a rule, such services already have their target audience, and you do not have to invest in advertising. But there will still be costs, as sites take a percentage of each sale of your product, and sometimes offer paid placement. Example: service “Infohit”.
Affiliate program directories are platforms for selling information products. You publish a product, the service automatically creates an affiliate program, users connect to it and promote your product. Part of the money from each sale you will deduct to the person who brought the buyer. You can set the amount of deductions yourself. Examples: Glopart, ClickPay, JustClick.
A good reputation is also an engine of trade, especially when it comes to an information product. Therefore, positive reviews will increase the chances of a sale. Offer customers a small bonus for leaving a review, publish them on your account / landing page.
10. Organization of sales through specialized services
If you do not have your own resource, you can use third-party services where it is convenient to sell information products. Today there are many such sites on the Internet. The sales scheme itself is quite simple:
The most popular trusted information business services:
- GetCourse. Powerful functionality allows you to create a website for the infobusiness and sell your product through it. Here you can also accept payments and analyze important indicators.
- AntiTraining. Platform for webinars and video tutorials.
- AutoWebOffice. The service can accept payments, create a series of mailings, create landing pages using the constructor.
- Tilda Publishing. A popular page builder that allows you to create a landing page to sell your information product.
Let’s summarize. There are many ways to advertise your business online today. Everyone will be able to choose the best way to promote and sell information products for their project. Experienced entrepreneurs advise using all possible tools and combining them.
What information products are in demand
The information product should be relevant, in demand and useful for the client. These are the three main characteristics that you should focus on when creating an information product.
It is very important to study the demand and the market situation in advance so as not to make a mistake with the choice of topics. In this study, the JustClick or Infohit services, which we have already mentioned, will help. They provide a selection of the most requested products. After studying it, you will be able to assess the market and draw up your current offer.
Topics that will always be in demand in the information business:
- earning and increasing income;
- education (learning foreign languages);
- development of new specialties;
- personal growth;
- weight loss courses
- relationship building coaching.
People are always interested in what is connected with the main components of their life: with family, work, children, personal harmony.
Consider this when creating an information product based on the interests and problems of the audience. First, decide on the niche in which you will work, then draw up a portrait of your potential buyer (how old, what interests, what lifestyle, income level, what problems or pains does he have), and then create a product that will help solve the identified problem. This approach will help you develop a really useful, relevant and in-demand information product.
Do I need to register infobusiness
Many are concerned about the question, is it worth registering an Internet business? If you plan to seriously work, develop and receive a stable income – definitely yes!
To do this, it is enough to issue an individual entrepreneur according to the standard scheme , choose the simplified tax system 6% of income in order to pay taxes and work calmly.
Often, infobusiness owners have questions about the OKVED codes that they indicate during registration. There are several types of activities here:
- OKVED 85.42.9 Other activities for additional professional education, not included in other groups
- OKVED 47.91.2 Retail trade carried out directly with the help of the Internet information and communication network
- OKVED 47.91.1 Retail trade by mail
And others – depending on the specifics of your activity.
What mistakes are often made in the information business
To avoid your own mistakes in business, you need to know about strangers and think about how to get around them at the start.
Here are the most common mistakes in the information business:
- Wrong product selected for sale. A mistake can be on the subject, the format of the information product, the mismatch between the audience and the subject, too narrow or wide niche, etc. What to do? Analyze the market in advance and create a product for a specific audience, rather than trying to attach the course made to someone.
- There is no clear idea to whom and what to sell. This mistake also stretches from the initial stage, when a niche is selected and the market is analyzed. You need to clearly understand the specifics of the product and the target audience.
- The bet in the promotion is done on the wrong channels. Some entrepreneurs use 2-3 sales channels to promote and believe that this is enough. They choose the most popular – and throw all their strength on them. But such resources and competition is much higher. It may happen that your advertisement is simply lost in the flow of information. And using various sales channels, combining free and paid promotion methods, you increase the chance of being noticed. So in your promotion strategy, write down all the possible ways of advertising that are suitable for your business.
- There is no communication with the target audience. A website, a blog, a group on a social network – these are all channels of interaction. Each of them needs time. Communication is very important in the information business. People buy from people – a good point to keep in mind.
- Sales funnel not built. If you do not have a clear scheme for selling your product, then it makes no sense to plan for profit and generally count on it.
Advantages and disadvantages of infobusiness
We looked at how to create information products and which ones are in demand. We figured out what tools to use for promotion. And now you can sum up and determine all the pros and cons of the information business.
|the possibility of multiple earnings on one product;small starting capital;you can start your own business, combining it with your main job;there is no tangible product to store and deliver to customers. In most cases, the Internet is enough to interact with customers;you can quickly earn a positive reputation and become a market leader if you offer high-quality and original material;training courses can be one of the tools to attract customers to another business. For example, copywriting training courses can help generate leads for an SMM agency.||high competition ;|
there is a risk of making a mistake with the choice of a niche and failing in sales;
training courses and materials should be regularly updated and supplemented;it takes a lot of time to create a high-quality information product;large online projects require maintenance and technical support, which takes a lot of time and money;plagiarism. One of the main risks of infobusiness. People can appropriate your information product for themselves or place it in open sources, which deprives you of part of the profit. Therefore, you must immediately take care of security and register copyright.
How much can you earn in the information business
The cost of courses in the Russian-speaking space, as a rule, varies from 0 to 40,000 rubles. The price depends on the topic, the volume of the course, the quality of the program and the popularity of the author.
Take for example the topic of making money on the Internet.
- For 1,000 rubles, you can buy a short course consisting of 5-6 ten-minute video lessons.
- For 5,000 – 10,000 rubles, you can get a serious program. With a large amount of knowledge and sound technical support from the author. Often the user cannot figure something out on his own. There is a need to communicate with the author live. Explain certain things.
- For 40,000 thousand and above, as a rule, courses by well-known authors are sold. Or courses that deal with some very new and very effective tools. Such programs are usually bought by advanced users who already have experience and basic knowledge.
How much can you earn in the information business
Surely you have heard inspiring success stories about how the infobusiness brings in millions of dollars in revenue. Certainly, this exists. One course can bring 1-2 million rubles. But this requires a huge audience of potential buyers, powerful promotion systems, automated processes and an established system of work. It is really necessary to strive for such indicators. But you have to start small.
Beginners in the information business are advised to set the cost of the first course up to 1000 rubles. A product in this price category is available to almost everyone, which means it will be easy to buy. If you sell it to 100 people, your revenue will be 100,000 rubles.
And if your training program is of high quality and people need it, if you can build a sales system correctly, then your sales can reach 1000 copies. So much for 1 million rubles in the infobusiness.
You can run several training programs in different niches and increase profits through this. So the prospects for the information business are very good. There is room to grow. For example, launching your own online school is a large-scale project that will be in trend for a long time to come. And now the demand for information products is high, the market is stable, and the technologies have already been established. Your task is to offer the market a high-quality and relevant information product.
Selling information products is a promising and profitable business. As long as people are interested in gaining knowledge and skills, the information business will be in demand.
An information product is a good tool for making a profit if you know how to monetize it. In the article, we have analyzed how to choose your niche, what promotion tools to use and what you should pay attention to in order to succeed in this business. Follow the recommendations, apply new knowledge in practice and develop. We wish you good luck in business!